How to Comment on a Blog Post
If you would like to participate in the blog community but aren’t sure how, you have come to the right place. To comment on a blog post, all you need are the skills to manipulate computer code in five different programming languages, plus an advanced knowledge of how circuit boards, servers, and databases work.
Just kidding! Below are easy, step-by-step instructions for how to comment on a blog post. (Note that every blog is slightly different, so while these instructions apply to commenting on my blog, they may or may not apply to commenting on other blogs.)
Why Leave a Comment on a Blog Post?
Before offering a step-by-step explanation of how to comment on a blog post, I’d like to devote a few words to the question of why one might do such a thing. First, commenting on a blog post is a good way to communicate with the author of the post. You can ask a question or respond in another way. With luck, the author will write back. (I do my best to respond to the comments people leave on my blog posts, time permitting!)
Second, your thoughts may be of use to others who read the blog post. If you have insights about the topic, sharing them in the comments section of a blog post provides information to others who are interested in that topic. Every successful blog is a community of people who meet in a virtual setting to exchange ideas. One day, it may be you sharing information; another day, you may be the beneficiary of someone else’s shared information.
Third, writing is a good way to clarify one’s thoughts. Therefore, if you choose to comment on a blog post, you may experience the side benefit of obtaining a greater understanding and appreciation of the topic—just by writing about it.
I like to tell people, don’t be shy: leaving a comment can benefit you and others. (And it goes without saying that the best comments demonstrate civility and respect. The Internet, I dare say, needs no more trolls!)
How to Leave a Comment on a Blog Post
- Go to my blog on the Home page.
- Click on the title of the blog post you would like to comment on. (If you subscribe to the newsletter and receive my emails, another way to get here is to click on the Leave a Comment button in the email for the blog post you would like to comment on.)
- Scroll to the end of the blog post. You should see a blank box where you can leave a comment.
- Write your comment in the box.
- Write your name in the Name box. Your name will be made public, so feel free to use just your first name or an alias.
- Write your email in the Mail box. Your email will be kept private.
- If you have a website that you would like to share, write it in the Website box. This is optional.
- If you would like your browser to auto-fill your name, email, and website the next time you comment on a blog post, check the checkbox. If you don’t mind retyping this information the next time or are using a public computer, leave it blank.
- Click the Leave a Comment button.
- Your comment will appear above! If it does not, or if you have technical or other difficulties, please send me a private message, and I will do my best to assist you.
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I look forward to reading it!